Hi there! I’m Bob Banana
I’m the one who loves to fool around and make my Googly Fruit friends laugh. I have a funny bendy body and am always full of energy. That’s why I love taking part in sports. In fact, last year I won a gold medal for bouncing in the fruit-athletics Olympic games!
People like me because I’m funny but I’m also the most popular fruit in the world to eat! Plant experts also think that I was the first fruit on earth. How cool is that?
Most people think I grow on a tree but it’s really a high herb that grows up to 15 metres talls. I grow in more than 150 tropical countries and especially in Central and South American countries like Ecuador and Costa Rica.
Want to know some funny banana facts?
- Each person in the UK eats about 100 bananas a year!
- The word banana comes from an Arabic word “banan” meaning ‘finger’ and a row of bananas is sometimes called a ‘hand’
- Scientists think bananas make you happier as they contain a protein (tryptophan) which helps your body relax and improves your mood
- The inside of a banana skin can be used to calm an itchy mosquito bite
- The inside of a banana skin can also be used to polish shoes!!
- Bananas are one of the most nutritious, high energy, on-the-go snacks