Hi there! I’m Rory Raspberry
Would you like to learn a few facts about me?
- I grow on a woody bush which belongs to the rose family. That’s why my plant is covered in thorns.
- We raspberries originated in Turkey but today we are grown all over the world, including the UK.
- I look a little bit like Suzie Strawberry but I’m quite a bit smaller and my red is usually darker.
- Believe it or not, I’m made up of about 100 teeny, tiny, individual fruits called drupelets (!) and each drupelet contains one seed. Sometimes the seeds can get stuck in your teeth!!
- Even though I’m red, some of my raspberry friends are purple, golden and even black!
- As well as tasting great, raspberries are really good for you because they contain vitamins C, E and B9 (folic acid) as well as important minerals and dietary fibres.
- Do you know the story about how raspberries turned a fox’s fur red? In The Tale of the Raspberry Fox, by Henning Buchhagen, there is a fox named Ferdinand. In the story, all foxes were once grey in colour but Ferdinand didn’t like to eat meat so one day he decided to eat raspberries instead. He loved eating raspberries so much that the more he ate, the redder his fur became. Ever since then, all foxes have had red fur and like to eat fruit!!